In the first major competition of the season, some of the biggest pros headed to Breckenridge, Colorado for Dew Tour Ion Mountain Championships. In the slopestyle competition on Friday, Jamie Anderson fought off challengers Spencer O’Brien and Enni Rukajarvi. She cinched the top spot with a clean last run – half cab tailpress on the tier drop box, followed by a gap to tailslide to fakie on the kinked rail, a cab 540, frontside 700, a backside tailslide to fakie on the rainbow, and a switch backside 540.
“I’m so thankful to be in this event,” said Anderson, following her win. “The course was great. The contest was really fun, and I’m just so happy to be here.”
Kaitlyn Farrington got her season started off right with a decisive win in women’s superpipe competition. In a stacked field, she fought off riders including last season’s juggernaut Kelly Clark as well as Torah Bright and Elena Hight to top the podium. Herwinning run included a backside 900, frontside 900, backside 540, alley-oop 540, straight air, and a frontside 720. Queralt Castellet and Maddy Schaffrick rounded out the top three.
“I’m really excited because it’s the first big contest of the year,” said Farrington. “I was just stoked to land both of my runs and come out on top. It all came together for me.”
Women’s Snowboard Slopestyle Final Results
1. Jamie Anderson, South Lake Tahoe, Calif., 96.00.
2. Spencer O’Brien, Canada, 90.00.
3. Enni Rukajarvi, Finland, 82.75.
4. Sarka Pancochova, Czech Republic, 75.00.
5. Silvia Mittermueller, Germany, 60.00.
6. Kjersti Ostgaard Buaas, Norway, 53.00.
Women’s Snowboard Superpipe Final Results
1. Kaitlyn Farrington, Sun Valley, Idaho, 90.00.
2. Queralt Castellet, Spain, 80.00.
3. Maddy Schaffrick, Steamboat Springs, Colo., 71.75.
4. Torah Bright, Australia, 66.00.
5. Kelly Clark, West Dover, Vt., 44.75.
6. Elena Hight, South Lake Tahoe, Calif., 39.50.